Thursday, May 29, 2008

An amazing dinner that ended up being scary as fuck

Dinner was fun and amazing.

The car ride home was nauseating.

The folks asked me what I wanted to do after college and I said that I was shooting for med school, but grad school was definitely an open option.

Apparently this did not sit well with some of the people in the car.

One in particular launched into a very forensics-debate style of argumentation that basically said that being a doctor in the United States is a terrible idea because the United States health care system is a corrupt institution so entrenched in its own love for profit and its own history that massive changes would be required, something unable to be accomplished by a worker within the system, only capable of being accomplished by a politician from outside. Another argument was that since doctors and nurses and whatnot work for a corrupt system, they themselves are inherently corrupt. I argued that the doctor is only helping people get better, regardless of the money. The doctor (at least, the good doctor) doesn't worry about how much money the patient will cough up after an operation, only about the welfare of the patient. How could that be inherently corrupt? It's not intentionally and tangibly evil.

Ultimately he suggested that the best course for a person who wants to be a doctor in this world is to be trained in the United States, which offers by far the best medical training in the world, then move to a socialized country where health care is offered by the government, such as Canada, west Europe. etc.

Some of the others tried to stick up for me and my dreams, which I reall appreciated.

These are good people, and I like them. I really do like them. But they're scaring me just a tiny bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment