Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Earth doth quaketh.


"Come on, Bobby, move faster! ...Bobby?..."

11:42 AM: in my apartment (being lazy and not yet at work), third floor. Building just started shaking like Shadowfax's nuts while he's running through the forest.

15 seconds of legitimate fear. My books have fallen on the floor, a plate fell and broke in the kitchen, and I was panicking for a second. Car alarms up and down the entire street blaring like a symphony performed by morons, starring Moby as the surprise guest.

Then I remembered all that bullcrap that they taught in elementary school about standing under the doorframe because it's one of the strongest structures you can find in the immediate vicinity. The quake continues on for about two minutes. It feels like half a lifetime.

A quick Google search tells me that it was a 5.8 magnitude quake that reached Los Angeles, Chino Hills, San Diego, and a little in Las Vegas.

Dick housemate in the other bedroom evidently slept through the whole quake.

I love California with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment