Sunday, June 22, 2008

I feel like Indiana Jones

I slept at the lab last night because it was just too damn hot in my bedroom, caused by the fact that it's on the top floor of the building, so over the course of the day, the temperature rises like a bitch in heat but never really dies down enough as the day gets cooler. So it was about 90F in my bedroom at 11pm.

Before you read the next sentence, close your mental eyes. Think of something nice, like the ocean, or a carnival, or laughing babies surrounded by bunnies, flowers, and cotton candy. Got it?

Even laying in bed wearing nothing but my underwear, I was sweating my ass off, and my bed was literally soaked halfway through with my high-sodium, high-sugar perspiration. Even my underwear was soaked through with sweat. I just couldn't sleep. So, at 4am, I got up, changed, and walked to the lab to sleep under my desk. George Costanza has taught me well.

Today, my roommate and I were discussing whether or not our air conditioning unit even works. We took a look at it and flicked that little plastic switch from "Off" to "Fan." We heard a machine whir and air move through some pipes.

I prepared myself for some sort of booby trap to spring up and swallow the two of us whole or if random Mayan warriors from 4,000 years ago would pop out and shoot poison darts at us. A discovery like this was simply too good to be true. Much to my idiot-schoolboy glee, nothing bad happened, and we live to see another day to enjoy the air conditioning. Good timing too; I was getting ready to move into the lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment