Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mystery Science Theater 2009

My phone just cheerily gave a single beep that I had never heard, apparently reminding me that I had a saved voicemail that was about to expire. The problem: I don’t ever recall saving a voicemail, mostly because I NEVER save voicemails. I typically have my left thumb on 7 whenever I listen to voicemails to lay the smackdown on the pesky little messages as swiftly as possible. And yes, I also Archive my emails religiously. A clean Inbox is an efficient Inbox.

Wondering what on earth a saved voicemail was doing in my inbox, I hit 1 to listen and I heard a bunch of giggling and the following message TO MYSELF FROM MYSELF:

“So I’m with Hsiao and Stacy right now. Hsiao said, ‘You only visit once every couple weeks now! [I assume we were in Palo Alto.] Why don’t you come back more often?’ And I said, ‘Because I have to work. And…uh…go drinking with my friends afterward.’ Then Stacy…wait…no, HSIAO says, ‘You’re going to grow up to be a GREAT father.’ [High-pitched, depressed voice] ‘Daddy, why don’t you spend more time with me?’ [Deep, angry, cigar-and-whiskey-rific voice] ‘Because daddy has to WORK. And go DRINKING with his buddies afterward.’”

I have absolutely zero recollection of this event ever happening. I don’t know what we were doing or how this ever came up in conversation.

I love the little surprises that the gods throw at me. It lets me know that the powers above still care about me enough to make me look like a fool every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment