Saturday, April 25, 2009

"THIS IS ESS EEE SEE SPEEEED"

Wikipedia fascinates me to no end. One of the little things I like to say is, "Wikipedia teaches me so much, I think I should pay it tuition." To a certain extent, that's true for me at the university level - I have learned some pretty valuable information from that lovely bland website that netted me quite a few points on exams, information that my professors conveniently refused to disclose.

The great thing about Wikipedia is the constant updating. As a makeshift bullshit social experiment, I wanted to see how long it took in real-time for a new critical piece of information to be included on Wikipedia. The NFL Draft is the perfect fit for this because everybody gets the information at the same time, so all you have to do is open the page and hit refresh until the information is updated.

Jason Smith was drafted by the Rams at 1:15:02PM, PST. At that point, the information for Round/Pick had not yet been filled in. At 1:16:27PM, PST (last available load of Jason Smith's Wikipedia page), the information had been updated to Round 1, Pick 2, St. Louis Rams.

Mark Sanchez's page was literally updated as soon as he put on that J-E-T-S hat. I watched him put the hat on, hit refresh, and the color scheme had changed from Crimson and Gold to Green and White and all the appropriate information had been filled in. I'm guessing that the teams have hired some people to do this stuff for the franchises.

We remarked that some people have no lives, but then again, what the hell am I doing constantly hitting refresh on Wikipedia pages?

No comments:

Post a Comment