Thursday, April 3, 2008

Low self-efficacy

As I was walking home from physics discussion:

Flyer girl: "VOTE CALSERVE!" in a sickeningly bright, way too optimistic voice while shoving flyer in my face

Me: "Sorry, I'm not voting."

Flyer girl: "I don't understand, WHY NOT?" Her face literally looked like an emoticon frown, she was just that Asian.

Me: "I just don't see what the ASUC is doing for me or why I should really vote for any of these candidates. As far as I'm concerned, it's one big popularity contest, just like high school ASB."

Flyer girl: "Um, TOTALLY NOT TRUE." Her face turn into this: >=(

Me: "Oh? If you can give me ten reasons why I should vote CalSERVE, then I guarantee you that you have my vote. And none of those reasons had better be crap like 'because they're nice people' or stuff like that. Give me issues."

Flyer girl: "Uhm...what do you, like , MEAN by issues?"

Me: "Exactly."

We part ways. She sticks around, continuing to promote CalSERVE just as loudly but with what I believe was somewhat less conviction, and I waded through the sea of seemingly equally mindless campaigners across Sproul Plaza towards Telegraph, leaving her ever-so-confused brain hopefully a little bit more educated. Maybe I'm just too optimistic on that end.

I don't have anything against the ASUC elections. I just don't like it when it becomes a popularity contest, which it inevitably becomes semester after semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment