Monday, April 14, 2008

Jack Bauer can save the world in 3 minutes

I spent Friday afternoon having coffee with Tonya, catching up and discussing post-graduation needs.

She brought up the University of California's 10-year plan to double system-wide enrollment. The problem is that (and I only speak for Berkeley, although the same issues exist at most of the other campuses) the university is not taking the necessary steps to allow more students to come in. We haven't built enough new dorms. We aren't adding enough classes. Facilities are getting old and need upgrading. Some of the new constructions are nice, but buildings like Evans and Moffitt need revamping, and we certainly don't have the money to tear it all down and build from the bottom up. You simply can't add 4,000 new freshmen in and only have 900 extra available beds. I suppose that's why they made Bowles an all-freshman dorm, but an important piece of university history and student life was sacrificed for that.

I agree with the decision to increase enrollment - UC is a public university, after all, and has a duty to serve the people of California. Building new campuses all over simply won't do - it took almost two decades from start to finish to get UC Merced up and running, and almost half of that was simply trying to find a fitting site. The San Jose proposal failed, of course, although the reason provided was complete bullcrap. UC said that San Jose is too close to Berkeley, and therefore would be counterproductive in trying to extend its reach to Californians. Um...and Irvine and Riverside aren't close together at all. Right. The more reasonable excuse is that San Jose State already serves the area well. There's also CSU Hayward (or I guess CSU East Bay, Hayward Campus now). So what the fuck are they talking about?

At this rate, Berkeley will get booted off its throne as the leading public university in the country, all thanks the genius plan to cut funding from UC and then not find a way to alleviate the financial pressure.
---
A confession:

I would much rather major in Psychology, but I am out of time. I thought I was interested in MCB, and these past couple years I was afraid that I might have made a mistake.

I know now that I did make a mistake and I'm almost done with school.

No comments:

Post a Comment