Friday, May 22, 2009

Pop Quiz, Hotshot

The world economy is in the shitter. You’re entering the American workforce in one of its bleakest moments in history. Recent reports show that just 19.7% of 2009 college graduates who applied for jobs have actually found one (compared to 51% graduating in 2007 and 26% graduating in 2008). You’re one of the very fortunate few to have secured a job, at least for the short term. But you’re on the cusp of leaving the bubble of the awesomely free college life and entering the proverbial “real world.” Your world is in shambles because most of your college friends are leaving, taking their own paths, and you are without direction. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?

I sit through 560 Asian names being called by faculty who are clearly struggling with the discomfort of some of those pronunciations. I walk across the stage of the Greek and take that little piece of paper from Dr. Beatty commemorating the One Hundredth Forty-Sixth Commencement from the University of California, Berkeley. That’s what I do.

I’m going to Commencement Convocation to see all my favorite motherlovers one last time before they all run away. Alcohol will surely follow.

My father flies back to Taiwan today. I’m partying like no other this Sunday. I’m moving out on Monday. I’m starting work on Tuesday. I’m looking for a new gym on Wednesday. Not much more to do other than GO BEARS and ONE MORE MOJITO! and FOOOOOTBAWWWWWW.

2 comments:

  1. I wrote my name phonetically on my floor pass. Chalk up a win for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being a part of that 19.7%. GO BEARS!!

    ReplyDelete